It’s great seeing all these awesome folks create delicious blends of nicotine juice/e-liquid/e-juice (We really need to think of better names for this stuff) but wouldn’t it be great if you could make your own? Surprisingly enough, It’s actually super easy and cheaper to just make it yourself (but you should still buy ours:). Here’s how:
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Flavoring (You can buy flavoring online with just a quick google search)
- Propylene Glycol aka PG (Creates a throat hit similar to an analog cigarette and tastes sweeter, be aware some people are more sensitive and allergic to PG)
- Vegetable Glycerin aka VG (Creates more vapor than PG and is incredibly smooth with almost no throat hit, it’s also tastes sweet)
- Unflavored Nicotine (Sold typically diluted with PG or VG)
- Some syringes to accurately measure your ingredients
- Some bottles to store your juice in
- We use beakers to mix the juice we sell but it’s unnecessary for small DIY setups
- GLOVES!!! Gloves are very important since nicotine can be absorbed through your skin which can get you sick if your dealing with concentrated nicotine.
- A safe place to work and store your ingredients, be sure you mix your juice in a safe area away from pets and those damn kids.
- Everclear (Makes the whole process much more fun, just kidding, it’s to clean your tools. You want to avoid using cleaners on your syringes as it can leave toxic residues) If Everclear is not sold in your state, some vodka will do the trick!
Step one: Get those gloves on!
Step two: Use the syringes to mix your flavoring together, it’s best write down each flavor and the amount used so you can tweak the recipe later. If you want to make a cool strawberry banana flavor a could place to start would be to mix 1 ml of strawberry, 1 ml of banana and .1 ml of menthol (Menthol is a very very very strong flavor). Do some sniff checks and smell the mixture, it won’t necessarily be exactly how it tastes but if you like the smell, you’ll more then likely enjoy the taste.
Tip: Smell some coffee grounds to reset your senses and get a fresh take on the flavor your making.
Step three: This step is optional, Once you got a small mixture of flavoring it’s time to do a quick vape test, at Roosevelt Vape we do these without nicotine and almost always in max VG. Not using nicotine and making the juice max VG insures a smooth and voluminous test batch where you can more accurately grasp each element of the flavor. To create this test batch we have to do a bit of math, generally flavoring accounts for 15% to 20% of ejuice, so just multiply the amount of flavoring you used by four and you’ll have 20% flavoring and 80% VG. Going back to our cool strawberry banana flavor, we mixed 2.1 ml of flavoring so we want to add 8.4ml of VG for a test batch.
Step four: So now that you have your desired flavor, lets scale it up to the desired amount you want to make. Our Cool Strawberry Banana recipe calls for 2.1 ml of flavoring which will make 10.5 ml of ejuice when it’s all done but we’re going to double that recipe and make 21ml of ejuice. We can use this calculator tool to figure out how much nicotine we need to add. Using the calculator we can figure out how much of each ingredient we need to add. The nicotine I used for my flavor has a concentration of 60 mg/ml so under nicotine base I typed in 60 (obvi). I want my batch of juice to have 3 mg/ml of nicotine in it so I out that under Target Nicotine Level. I’m going to create 21 ml of this recipe and have 20% flavoring.
Step Five: So according to our calculator, we need to used 4.2 ml of our flavoring and 1.1 ml of nicotine. Make sure your gloves haven’t slipped and mix those two together.
Step Six: Our recipe also requires 15.7 ml of PG/VG. You can take your PG and VG and mix them 50/50 or whatever ratio you prefer and then add 15.7 ml to the flavoring/nicotine mixture.
Step Seven: Mix it up and try some(: If it doesn’t taste quite right we may need to let it steep, leave it uncovered in a cabinet or dark closed off area for a day or to to let it oxygenate and release yucky flavors.
Last Step: Clean all of it up using Everclear or Vodka and store the ingredients in a safe place. And don’t forget to send us a sample! We may send you one of ours back(: